Friday, July 31, 2009

Vacation!!



We have a fantastic summer vacation! This was the first one we've gone on since Matthew has come along. To be honest, I don't think it would have gone as smoothly if we would have done it any sooner. Now that he is comprehending more and more and we can explain what is going on, its much easier.



I made Matthew a book, that we read alot in the weeks leading up to our trip. In it, I put all of the details I could think of - like a long car ride, stopping at a hotel, packing our bags and loading the car, etc.


As soon as we made the decision to go, I was so apprehensive. Did I do the right thing? Matthew is such a creature of habit, and so fearful of new things. I was sure that he was going to be so uncomfortable and stressed out that I didn't think we made the right decision and should wait until he's older! I second guessed myself until I asked advice from his Occupational Therapist. She got very excited, gave some fantastic advice, and then said "That's going to be so good for Matthew!" Well, that comment completely changed my perspective.


Matthew did GREAT on vacation! We took along his favorite "comfort" toys and we could gradually watch him become used to his surroundings. When we got to the beach, he got right to playing in the sand and went right down to the water, without any coaxing. The entire time we were there, he never once asked to "Go home". What a good boy!


The view outside our 7th floor condo. This took Matthew several days to get used to. We always had to carry him, and he would have a death grip on us. It was open, with a railing. By the end of the week though, he was fine.



Playing on the beach! Not one tiny bit of sunburn the entire trip! As my mom put it, "He was all covered up!"



Matthew called this his swimming pool. This kept him very entertained! We'd fill it up with ocean water and he would play and play.



Contemplating...

Our happy family!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hey, maybe it's time for another update... eh?